Design personalized marketing and efficiently manage your list by segmenting your contacts. Learn to organize your contacts and members in your People tab by utilizing default Segments and creating custom Segments.
What is Segmenting?
Segmenting your contacts is a method of dividing your list into small groups based on similar attributes.
Commonly segmented groups include:
- Purchasing habits,
- and Interests.
Segmenting is not only a method of efficiently managing your list but can also be used as a powerful marketing technique. Organizing your list in custom segments can give you insight to personalize your marketing and improve your ability to communicate with different groups of your contacts.
Why Segment your Contacts?
In short, segmenting your contacts greatly improves your ability to manage your list efficiently and design personalized marketing to better communicate with your contacts.
Creating generalized marketing to attempt to reach all of your contacts typically results in mixed responses. Some contacts may respond positively to one campaign while others may not. Regardless of how effective or creative your marketing efforts are for some, they may not reach others as intended. This can result in contacts unsubscribing or even blocking you.
Segmenting your Contacts can help you:
- Increase engagement by designing marketing campaigns specific to groups of contacts based on various similar attributes such as products owned, emails received, custom tags and more;
- Gain insight into the patterns and trends of your contacts with automations and tags and assigning each to a custom segment;
- Review your Member's Product Progress and bring focus to your stats;
- Efficiently manage your People tab by quickly navigating between specified Segments.
Segment your contacts and take control of your list to enhance and personalize your contacts experience with your brand and your business at every touchpoint.
There are 5 default segments we've added to the people tab that will always be visible for ease of use: All, Members, Subscribed, Inactive, and Hard Bounced.
- All: A view of all of your People — this includes both Members and Contacts. Learn the difference between Members and Contacts.
- Members: A Member view for only users who have purchased something from your site or have been granted an Offer.
- Subscribed: A Subscriber view of those that have opted-in to receive any type of emails from you.
- Inactive: A Subscriber view of those that have not opened your emails in the last 90 days.
- Hard Bounced: A Contact view of the email addresses that have hard bounced (undeliverable emails).
Create custom segments based on similar attributes to better organize and design marketing campaigns for your contacts.
- Open the People tab from the Dashboard.
- Click Filters.
- Open the Select Filter dropdown menu.
- Select the filter you want to include in your custom segment. and then open the Select Filter dropdown menu.
- Then, click Apply.
- After selecting your filter(s) click Save Segment.
- Then, create a title for your Custom Segment.
- Click Save:
Access your custom segment in your People tab, when sending Email Campaigns, creating Automations, adding Tags, and reviewing your Analytics.