Learn the difference between customers, contacts, and subscribers in Kajabi and understand the people that are considered to be active customers.
In this article:
- First, what is a contact?
- What is a customer?
- What is a subscriber?
- What is considered an active customer?
First, what is a contact?
To better understand the terms contacts, customers, and subscribers in Kajabi, it is best to begin by understanding where these terms can be found, the Contacts tab:
In the Contacts tab, your List contains default Segments including:
- All: A view of all of your contacts — this includes customers, subscribers, and contacts that may have unsubscribed or may have never subscribed.
- Customers: A view of contacts that have purchased an Offer from your site or have been granted an Offer.
- Subscribed: A view of contacts that have expressed consent to receive any marketing emails from you.
Contacts can be any person in your Contacts tab whether they have subscribed, unsubscribed, purchased an Offer, or have been granted an Offer. The difference depends upon their customer and/or subscription status.
Check out the rest of this guide to learn the difference between your customers and subscribers in Kajabi!
What is a customer?
A customer is a user or contact that has completed a purchase or has been granted an Offer on your site.
Customers can be identified in your Contacts tab by the blue checkmark icon on their avatar:
Customers of your site may also be considered a subscriber if they are subscribed to receive your marketing emails. In the same way, subscribers may be customers if they have access to your Offer(s).
Depending on how they received access to an Offer will determine the automatic emails they receive.
- Purchased an Offer: Your customer will receive the Purchase Confirmation Email containing a congratulatory message and the link to the Login Page of your site. Learn the purchase flow of a new customer.
- Granted an Offer: Your customer will receive the Offer Grant Confirmation email containing a congratulatory message and the link to the Login Page of your site and the Member Welcome Email with a new customer's login credentials. If the Offer is granted to an existing customer, your customer will only receive the Offer Grant Confirmation email. Learn to edit the automated emails sent by your site.
What is a subscriber?
A subscriber is a user or contact that has provided consent to receive your marketing emails. Subscribers can be added to your site through a Form submission or imported onto your site.
Although subscribers may also be customers of your site, subscribers are not required to be customers to receive marketing emails. As long as the subscriber has provided the proper permissions to receive marketing emails, they are considered subscribers.
Keep in mind that contacts in your Contacts tab may not always be a subscriber. For example, contacts in your Contacts tab may not be subscribers if,
- the contact manually unsubscribes,
- results in a hard bounced email,
- does not confirm a Double Opt-in Form,
- or was imported without selecting Subscribe to marketing emails.
If any of the examples apply, the contact will not be considered a subscriber and will not receive your marketing emails.
Identify your contacts subscription status directly from the Contacts tab:
What is considered an Active Customer?
Active Customers are users that have logged into their accounts and registered activity (completed a course, opted-in, etc.) in the past 30 days.
Different Kajabi subscriptions allow certain amounts of Active Customers on your site. You can see how many your plan allows here.
We recognize that customer usage will have peaks and lulls. In the event that you are exceeding the number of Active Customers allowed for your plan, we will contact you to discuss upgrade options. We will not block your site from accepting new customers without first discussing plan options.
Still have questions? Let us know your question below to have it added to the list or reach out to Support if you need additional assistance. Thanks for being the best part of Kajabi!