Stripe's 3D Secure feature is a primary authentication method used to meet the Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) requirements for card payments. Learn to configure Stripe's 3D Secure Settings.
In this article:
What is the SCA?
The Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) is a rule in effect as of September 14, 2019, as part of PSD2 regulation in Europe. The SCA requires changes to how your European customers authenticate online payments. This means card payments require a different user experience, namely 3D Secure, in order to meet SCA requirements.
In summary, transactions that don’t follow the SCA's guidelines may be declined by your customers’ banks.
We recommend collecting payments via Stripe with 3D Secure Settings configured.
Configure Stripe 3D Secure settings in Stripe:
- Login to your Stripe dashboard.
- Open the Settings tab, scroll down to Stripe Apps and click Subscriptions and Emails.
- Scroll down to manage payments that require 3D Secure click the toggle next to Send a Stripe-hosted link for cardholders to authenticate when required
- This will send a link to your customers via email and they can confirm the payment with their bank.
- Additionally, you can configure when email reminders will be sent to them if the 3D Secure payment confirmation isn't completed.
- Finally, in the Subscription Status setting, you can select an action for Stripe to perform, if the recurring payment is still incomplete after a certain number of days.