Failed payments processed through Stripe can be customized to specify the number of retry days before your Member's subscription is canceled. Learn to customize Stripe's Smart Retries.
In this article:
Managing failed payments in Stripe
In your Stripe Account, you can customize how potential failed payments are handled when processed in Stripe:
- Customize Stripe's Retry schedule if a payment failure occurs.
- Create Customer emails to send when a card payment fails.
- Adjust the Subscription status to determine the action that will occur if all retries for a payment fails.
Stripe's smart retries
Stripe uses machine learning algorithms that train on data collected across the Stripe network to optimize retry logic and minimize failed payments.
Check out Stripe's doc on Smart Retries.
Use custom retry schedule
Select Use custom retry schedule to create your very own retry schedule within Stripe.
- Log in to your Stripe account.
- Click the Settings tab.
- Under the Product Settings card, click Subscriptions and emails.
- Configure the steps you'd like to take when charging a customer's payment method fails within Manage failed payments.
- Click Use custom retry schedule to configure your Retry rules.
- This will determine how much time is between each charge attempt and after how many attempts the subscription is automatically canceled.
- Click Save to keep your changes: