Learn to prepare your CSV formatting to import People to Kajabi with Google Sheets.
In this article:
- Formatting your CSV
- First, Creating a New Google Sheet
- Step 1: Uploading your CSV File to Google Sheets & Remove Extra Columns
- Step 2: Correcting CSV Formatting with Formulas
- Step 3: Rearranging Columns to Prepare for Import
- Step 4: Importing to Kajabi - Opening your new CSV
- Step 5: Open your downloaded CSV file in a Text Editor
- Step 6: Importing Contacts to Kajabi
Formatting your CSV
Google Sheets is a great tool for formatting a CSV file to import your contacts to Kajabi. Whether you have a Mac or PC, you can use Google Sheets.
First, Create a New Google Sheet
Haven't used Google Sheets before? Learn to use and create a Google Sheet.
Step 1: Uploading your CSV File to Google Sheets & Removing Extra Columns
Upload your CSV File to your Google Sheets:
- Open your new Google Sheet.
- Click File.
- Select Import.
- Click Upload.
- Select your CSV File to upload to Google Sheets.
- Select Replace spreadsheet and Detect automatically.
- Click Import data:
With Kajabi's importer, you must include name and email address. Any additional fields must be removed. Read How to Import Contacts to Kajabi for more details.
- Highlight extra columns.
- Right-click the columns.
- Click Delete columns:
Step 2: Correcting CSV Formatting with Formulas
Next, we need to get first and last name in the same column with the correct formatting. We can do this by using a Formula.
- First, select the first empty column in your Google Sheet.
- Then, enter the following formula with the fields that fit your CSV file:
This formula grabs the data in the first name column, adds a space, and includes the last name column to combine the data into a single column.
After inputting the Formula, apply it to all your rows:
- Click the field containing the Formula.
- Then, click and drag the corner to the bottom of your rows:
Step 3: Rearranging Columns to Prepare for Import
Next, to ensure that your contacts are imported correctly with your new formatting, copy the values and rearrange your columns:
- Highlight your new column created in Step 2.
- Right-click the column.
- Click Copy.
- Then, click the next empty column.
- Right-click and click Paste special.
- Select Paste values only.
Now, your column is determined by the actual values and not the formula to allow you to remove and rearrange your original columns.
- You can now delete the column containing your Formula:
After preparing your Google Sheet, remove the original First Name and Last Name columns:
- Highlight the two columns.
- Right-click and click Delete:
Now that you have formatted your name column and removed extraneous columns, rearrange your columns to be accepted by the Kajabi People Importer:
- Click and drag your newly created First Name Last Name column.
- Slide to the Column A position:
Your Google Sheet is now in the perfect format to import to Kajabi!
Step 4: Importing to Kajabi - Opening your new CSV
With your completed Google Sheet, download your Sheet as a new CSV File and copy its contents to import:
- Click File and Download.
- Select Comma-separated values (.csv, current sheet):
Step 5: Open your downloaded CSV file in a Text Editor
After downloading, open your downloaded CSV file and copy its contents to paste into the Kajabi People Importer:
- Open your Downloads folder.
- Locate your downloaded CSV file.
- Open with TextEdit (for Mac) or Notepad (for PC's).
- Highlight and right-click to copy your list:
Step 6: Importing Contacts to Kajabi
After copying your correctly formatted CSV, paste your copied CSV into the Kajabi People Importer:
- Open the People tab from the Dashboard.
- Click + Add People.
- Import a single contact or copy & paste your list to Import Multiple People: