Learn to build and sell Newsletters with the combined power of Kajabi's Email Broadcasts and Offers.
In this article:
What is a Newsletter?
In this guide, we'll walk through how to create a Newsletter in the form of an email containing your content that customers must purchase to receive.
Think of your paid Newsletter as the evolved, digital version of a magazine or newspaper subscription.
Learn to deliver value in the form of a consistent, ever-growing email Newsletter and receive payment for the content you create.
With Kajabi's Email Broadcasts and Offers, you can provide this exciting new way for your customers to access and consume your content.
With Kajabi, design a custom Newsletter by utilizing the combined power of Email Broadcasts and Offers.
Using these components, you can set up a system where your subscribers can only receive your Newsletter content by purchasing your Offer.
In this guide, you'll first learn how to create the Offer your customers will need to purchase in order to access your Newsletter content. Then, we'll step through the process of creating your Newsletter using Email Broadcasts.
How to create your Newsletter
Now that we've covered the main components involved in creating an email Newsletter on Kajabi, let's get started!
Step 1. Create your Offer
The first step in creating a paid Newsletter is building the Offer your customers can purchase.
With Kajabi, you have the option to set up your Newsletter Offer as a Ghost Offer, which is an Offer without a Product attached. A Ghost Offer will still enable you to collect payment for the content you send out with your Email Broadcasts.
However, if you wish to create a web Newsletter experience for your customers in addition to an email Newsletter experience, you can also build your Newsletter into a Product and attach it to your Offer.
For example, if you wish to create a web experience, you can recreate your Newsletter email content inside a Product. This is a great way to keep your content organized in a single location and make it easy for your customers to access any previous Newsletters they may have missed.
Click here to learn how to create a digital Course Product on Kajabi.
Let's walk through the steps to create a Ghost Offer for your Newsletter.
To create a Ghost Offer:
- Open the Sales tab from your Dashboard.
- Select Offers.
- Click + New Offer.
- Enter a Title for your Ghost Offer.
- Leave the Product field empty.
(If you do want to include a Product as bonus content, you can add it here).
- Enter your Payment Type and click Save.
(Note: you can edit your price further within the Offer builder).
- Click Create to build your Offer:
Step 2. Add an Automation to tag your customer as a Newsletter subscriber
Now that you've created your Offer, create an Automation to tag your Offer purchaser as a Newsletter subscriber. This tag can be used to create a custom segment for your Email Broadcast, and can be easily removed (via a second Automation) if a customer unsubscribes from your Newsletter.
To tag your customer using an Automation:
- Navigate to the Automations section at the bottom of your Offer Details.
- Click + Add Automation.
- In the 'WHEN' dropdown, select Offer is purchased.
- From the 'THEN' dropdown, select Add a tag.
- In the 'Select tag' field, enter your tag name (example: Newsletter Subscriber).
- Click Save to create your Automation:
If you're using a recurring payment subscription model for your Offer, add a second Automation to remove the tag from your customer if they cancel their subscription payments:
Configure the additional settings for your Offer as desired. Then, customize your Checkout Page to communicate the importance of subscribing to your email list in order to receive your Newsletters.
Step 3. Create an Email Broadcast template
First, let's briefly review Email Broadcasts.
An Email Broadcast is a single, freestanding email sent to your contacts (or a custom segment of your contacts) who've opted in to receive your emails. With an Email Broadcast, you can design and send custom, relevant content directly to your subscribers at any time you choose.
Design your Email Broadcast with the visual email editor to create a unique, beautiful Newsletter for your customers to read.
Saving your Email Broadcast as a reusable template will enable you to easily select your template for future Newsletters.
To create your Email Broadcast template:
- Open the Marketing tab from your Dashboard.
- Click + New Email Campaign.
- Select Email Broadcast and click Continue.
- Then, select the template design you wish to use as the base for your custom Newsletter template. (Tip: consider using the 'Share a Newsletter' template design).
- Click Get Started.
- Add your Email Title, then click Create.
- In the email editor, click 2. Edit content.
- Update your Email Content to design your email to use as a template. Learn more
- Then, click Save as template.
- At the prompt, add a Template Name and Description.
- Click Create to generate your custom email template:
Step 4. Send your Email Newsletter
Now, you can use your Email Broadcast template as the starting point for creating your Newsletters, ensuring a consistent experience for your subscribers.
To create and send your Email Newsletter:
- Open the Marketing tab from your Dashboard.
- Then, select Email Campaigns.
- Click Manage Templates.
- Click to select your Newsletter template.
- At the prompt, click Create a broadcast.
- Enter a Title for your email, and click Create:
When the email editor opens, you'll be prompted to select your Email Broadcast recipients.
Here, you can specify that you only want to send your email to the custom segment of your contacts who've been tagged as Newsletter subscribers by the Automation you created in Step 2.
- Open the dropdown menu for Who will receive this broadcast?
- Select Custom Segment.
- In the 'Select filter' dropdown, navigate down to the Tag Filters.
- Select Has any of these tag(s).
- Click into the final dropdown menu and select the tag you created in Step 2.
- Click Apply.
- Then, click Save and continue:
Finally, you'll edit the subject line and content of your email as desired, then choose to either send your email immediately or schedule it to go out at a later date and time.
- Enter a Subject for your Newsletter email (note: this is the email subject line your recipients will see when they get your email).
- Then, hover over your Email Content and click Edit content to open the content editor.
- Once you've finished creating your Newsletter content, click Save and continue.
- On the final screen, choose to Send right now or Schedule for later.
If you choose to schedule your email, a Date & Time input field will appear.
- Select a Date & Time if you chose 'Schedule for later', and click Apply.
- Click Confirm to schedule (or send) your Newsletter:
And that's how to create Paid Newsletters in Kajabi! Please vote below and let us know if you found this article helpful. We value your feedback. Thanks for being the best part of Kajabi!