Learn how to manage failed recurring payments with Kajabi Payments.
In this article:
- What is a failed payment and why do they occur?
- How does Kajabi Payments handle failed payments?
- Viewing failed payments with Kajabi Payments
- Failed Payment Decline Reasons
What is a failed payment and why do they occur?
Payments can fail when a customer’s recurring payment (subscription or multiple payment) is not processed successfully. These failures can stem from a variety of reasons, including:
- Lack of a payment method tied to the customer record.
- An expired payment method.
- The payment is declined, which can happen for a variety of reasons.
How does Kajabi Payments handle failed payments?
Kajabi Payments automatically retries a failed payment for up to four attempts spread over three weeks. Kajabi Payments utilizes Stripe as a backend provider, including Stripe’s smart retries that are based on AI Machine Learning.
For example, the attempt could be sooner if it predicts there is a higher chance of success due to new information. For additional insights, you can refer to Stripe's documentation on Smart Retries.
What happens when a payment fails?
- If a payment fails, the status of the purchase record becomes Past Due wherever it is displayed in Kajabi.
- The purchase information page for recurring transactions shows Retrying on the failed transaction within the transactions tab.
- If a retry succeeds, the status is set back to Active.
- If all 4 retries fail, the subscription or multiple payment is Canceled which revokes product access for the customer.
When a payment fails, Kajabi will automatically send emails to:
- Your customer, prompting them to update their payment information when a payment fails. Learn how to customize the failed payment email notification to your customer here.
- Your email on file, alerting you why the payment didn't go through, how many times we've retried, and the approximate date for the next attempt.
Viewing failed payments with Kajabi Payments
To access information regarding failed payments, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Purchase Information page
- Click the “Transactions” tab
- Click the
…to View more details:
Failed Payment Decline Reasons
To access reasons for payment declines and our recommended next steps, please click here.
And that’s how you can manage failed payments with Kajabi Payments! Kajabi Payments is in a closed beta, and not publicly available to all Kajabi Heroes. If you have questions, run into issues, or have feedback to share, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.