In this article:
- What is Split Testing?
- Why use Split Testing or A/B Testing?
- Split Testing in Kajabi
- Split Testing Tools
What is Split Testing?
Split testing, or A/B testing, is a method of measuring the effectiveness of different variables on a webpage.
In short, Split testing is like conducting a science experiment to improve a website metric such as forms submitted, links clicked, or offers purchased.
The terms Split testing and A/B testing are commonly used interchangeably.
Split testing compares two completely different versions of a webpage with two distinct URLs to determine which page your site visitors respond to best.
A/B testing compares a constant version of a page to an alternate version of the page with small, variable changes similar to the constant version. This type of testing uses the same URL for all visitors to identify what variables in a webpage perform best.
Why use Split Testing or A/B Testing?
Split testing and A/B testing can improve your conversions, enhance your customer experience, and ultimately, provide insight into the performance of your site.
When are Split tests used?
Nearly every aspect of a webpage can be Split tested. Even small, seemingly insignificant changes can, at times, yield surprising results. Some page elements that are typically tested include:
- Calls to action: Button appearance, placement, and text.
- Copy and tone: Language, body content, and headlines.
- Imagery: Videos, testimonials, and images.
- Branding: Logos, colors, and page design.
How to Conduct an A/B or Split Test
- Step 1. Research: Take a look at competitors in your industry to determine areas that may be improved with Split testing.
- Step 2. Hypothesis: Based on your reasoning and research, identify a possible explanation or conjecture to test. For example, Users aren't sure where to locate your Sales Page on the homepage; if it were noticeably displayed on the header navigation menu, the conversion rate would increase.
- Step 3. Identify the variable: Because a Split Test or A/B test is a form of scientific experiment, it must be done with proper control variables to be conclusive. Identify the variables you will test.
- Step 4. Set your parameters: To determine the length of time and volume of visitors needed for you to conduct a reliable test, use an A/B Test Calculator like Optimizely. All the website elements outside of the variable being tested must be kept identical to yield valid results.
- Step 5. Conduct your test: Use a Split testing tool to begin your test and record your findings.
Split Testing in Kajabi
Although Kajabi does not natively conduct A/B tests, it can still support Split testing. Essentially, you'll need to create two versions of a page.
These two versions can then be sent out via email or linked to different social media campaigns.
After a period of time, take a look at your Analytics to compare stats.
First, create two versions of a single landing page.
Create a control page and duplicate it. Use the duplicated version to create your alternate page. Click here to learn how to duplicate your page.
Then, share your pages.
Copy the link to the original page:
Then, paste the link into different social media campaigns or email contact segments. Repeat these steps to share the alternate version of your page.
Lastly, check the conversion rate.
After you have conducted the test over a period of time, check the conversion rate per page view.
- Select the Analytics tab from your dashboard.
- Then, select Page Views from the Analytics Overview page.
- In the Page View report, take a look at your analytics to determine the effectiveness of both versions of your page. Use the Filters in the right sidebar to select specific pages to view:
Split Testing Tools
Google Optimize is a free page testing tool that can test variants of your landing pages and see how they perform. This is done by monitoring the outcome of your experiment and informing you of which variant performs best. Optimize offers both A/B and Split testing tools and is natively integrated with Google Analytics to easily identify parts of your site that can be adjusted to improve your customers' experience. Learn more about the types of site tests available with Google Optimize here.
To get started with Optimize:
- First, you will need to install Google Analytics on your site.
- Set up your Optimize account at optimize.google.com.
- Deploy the Optimize snippet on your site.
- Then begin testing your pages with your first A/B Test.
There are various paid Split testing and A/B testing tools available on the market, for example:
- Optimizely is a paid web experimentation tool to run experiments across your website.
- Visual Website Optimizer is a great tool to set up, design, and run A/B tests on your site.
Still have questions? Let us know your question below to have it added to the list or reach out to Support if you need additional assistance. Thanks for being the best part of Kajabi!