Learn to insert a Mailto Link in your Call to Action (CTA) to open the default email client (such as Gmail, Outlook, Apple Mail, etc.) in your page visitor's device.
In this article:
What is a mailto link?
Mailto Links can be clickable text or buttons that automatically open a new email draft in your page visitor's default email client with pre-filled information (such as your email address). Mailto Links can be used to encourage your page visitors to reach out to you with an easy-to-click, easy-to-create button.
With a Mailto Link, create Contact Us pages, prompt contacts for specific information, and more.
The best part: Mailto Links are simple to create! To create a Mailto Link, just include the link
mailto: followed by the email address you wish to pre-fill in the new email draft.
For example, the link could be "mailto:email@example.com" to open a new email draft to send directly to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to add a mailto link
Step 1. Create a Call to Action (CTA) button
Use a CTA to insert your Mailto Link in your Pages, Email Campaigns, and Products.
For the purpose of this guide, we will create a Call to Action (CTA) in a page:
- Open the Website tab from the Dashboard.
- Click Pages.
- Select the Page you wish to edit or create a new one.
- Click Add Section.
- Select Call to Action.
- Click Add. Your newly created Section will generate at the bottom of your Page:
Step 2. Insert your mailto link
Open the CTA to insert your Mailto Link:
- In the sidebar, open the Text Block.
- Navigate to Block Settings and click Call To Action.
- Under Button Action, select Go to a URL.
- In the empty field below Button Action, enter your Mailto Link (mailto:email@example.com).
- Click Save to apply your changes:
Step 3. Include additional pre-filled information (optional)
Want to include additional information in the generated email? Learn to add HTML code to your Mailto Link to include additional pre-filled content in the new email draft after your visitors click the Call to Action button on your page.
For the fields you want to pre-fill, change the blue text with your content in the code extension:
- CC - Add additional recipients to your email.
- BCC - Add additional recipients to your email that your contacts and CC'd recipients won't see.
- Subject - Add a subject line to your email.
Add a Space: Use "%20" to add a space between words in your subject line.
- Body - Add a personalized message to the body of the email.
Add a Space or a Line Break:
Use "%20" to add a space between words in your body text.
Use "%0A" to add a line break.
Then, copy and paste your customized code extension to the end of the Mailto Link:
- Place your cursor at the end of your Mailto Link in your Call to Action:
- Copy and paste your customized code extension.
If you are including multiple extensions (e.g., Subject and Body), replace the question mark (?) with an ampersand (&) between each code extension:
After adding your Mailto Link, customize your Call to Action Section to fit your brand!
Click to enlarge image
And that's how to add a Mailto Link with a CTA! Please vote below and let us know if you found this article helpful. We value your feedback. Thanks for being the best part of Kajabi!