Learn to insert an email link to your Call to Action (CTA) to open the default email client (such as Gmail, Outlook, Apple Mail, etc.) in your page visitor's device.
In this article:
What is a mailto link?
Mailto Links can be clickable text or buttons to automatically open a new email draft in your page visitor's default email client with pre-filled information (such as your email address). Mailto links can be used to encourage your page visitors to reach out to you with an easy-to-click, easy-to-create button.
With a Mailto Link, create contact us pages, prompt contacts for specific information, and more.
The best part, Mailto links are simple to create! To create a Mailto link include the link,
mailto: followed by the email address you wish to pre-fill in the new email draft.
For example, the link could be "mailto:email@example.com" to open a new email draft to send directly to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to add a mailto link
Step 1. Create a Call to Action (CTA) button
Use a CTA to insert your Mailto link in your Pages, Email Campaigns, and Products.
For the purpose of this guide, we will create a Call to Action (CTA) in a page:
- Open the Website tab from the Dashboard.
- Click Pages.
- Select the Page you wish to edit or create a new one.
- Click Add Section.
- Select Call to Action.
- Click Add. Your newly created Section will generate at the bottom of your Page:
Step 2. Insert your mailto link
Open the CTA to insert your Mailto Link:
- In the sidebar, open the Text block.
- Navigate to Block Settings and click Call To Action.
- Under Button Action, select Go to a URL.
- In the empty field below Button Action, enter your Mailto link (mailto:email@example.com).
- Click Save to apply your changes:
Step 3. Include additional pre-filled information (optional)
Want to include additional information in the generated email? Learn to add HTML code to your mailto link to include additional pre-filled content in the new email draft after your visitors click the Call to Action button on your page.
For the fields you want to pre-fill, change the blue text with your content in the code extension:
- CC - Add additional recipients to your email.
- BCC - Add additional recipients to your email that your contacts and CC'd recipients won't see.
- Subject - Add a subject line to your email.
Add a Space: Use "%20" to add a space between words in your subject line.
- Body - Add a personalized message to the body of the email.
Add a Space or a Line Break:
Use "%20" to add a space between words in your body text.
Use "%0A" to add a line break.
Then, copy and paste your customized code extension to the end of the mailto link:
- Place your cursor at the end of your mailto link in your Call to Action.
- Copy and paste your customized code extension.
If you are including multiple extensions (e.g., Subject and Body), replace the question mark (?) with an ampersand (&) between each code extension.
After adding your mailto link, customize your Call to Action section to fit your brand!
Click to enlarge image