Learn to insert a link to your Call to Action (CTA) to open the default email client (such as Gmail, Outlook, Apple Mail, etc.) in your page visitor's device.
In this article:
What is a Mailto Link?
Mailto Links can be clickable text or buttons to automatically open a new email draft in your page visitor's default email client with pre-filled information (such as your email address). Mailto links can be used to encourage your page visitors to reach out to you with an easy-to-click, easy-to-create button. With a Mailto Link, create contact us pages, prompt contacts for specific information, and more.
The best part, Mailto links are simple to create! To create a Mailto link include the link,
mailto: followed by the email address you wish to pre-fill in the new email draft.
For example, the link could be "mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org" to open a new email draft to send directly to the email address email@example.com.
How to Add a Mailto Link
Step 1: Create a Call to Action (CTA) button
Use a CTA to insert your Mailto link in your Landing Pages, Email Campaigns, and Products.
For the purpose of this guide, we will create a Call to Action (CTA) in a Landing Page:
- Open the Website tab from the Dashboard.
- Click Pages.
- Select the Page you wish to edit or create a new one.
- Click Add Section.
- Select Call to Action.
- Click Add. Your newly created Section will generate at the bottom of your Page:
Step 2: Insert your Mailto Link
Open the CTA to insert your Mailto Link:
- In the sidebar, open the Text block.
- Navigate to Block Settings and click Call To Action.
- Under Button Action, select Go to a URL.
- In the empty field below Button Action, enter your Mailto link (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Click Save to apply your changes:
Step 3: Include Additional Pre-filled information (Optional)
Want to include additional information in the generated email? Learn to add HTML code to your mailto link to include additional pre-filled content in the new email draft after your visitors click the Call to Action button on your page.
For the fields you want to pre-fill, change the blue text with your content in the code extension:
- CC - Add additional recipients to your email.
- BCC - Add additional recipients to your email that your contacts and CC'd recipients won't see.
- Subject - Add a subject line to your email.
Add a Space: Use "%20" to add a space between words in your subject line.
- Body - Add a personalized message to the body of the email.
Add a Space or a Line Break:
Use "%20" to add a space between words in your body text.
Use "%0A" to add a line break.
Then, copy and paste your customized code extension to the end of the mailto link:
- Place your cursor at the end of your mailto link in your Call to Action.
- Copy and paste your customized code extension.
If you are including multiple extensions (e.g., Subject and Body), replace the question mark (?) with an ampersand (&) between each code extension.
After adding your mailto link, customize your Call to Action section to fit your brand!
Click to enlarge image