The contacts importer tool gives you the option to upload a comma-separated value (CSV) file with multiple custom data fields, copy and paste contacts from a spreadsheet, or type info directly into the import table. In this article, you'll learn how to use our import tool to add and update contacts on Kajabi.
In this article:
Import File Requirements Overview
The Kajabi Contact Importer tool uses intelligent column mapping.
In other words, Kajabi will recognize column headers in your .CSV file and then organize the data accordingly. This allows you to upload your contacts with up to 25 data fields and up to 100 tags per upload. Yes, that's right... 100 tags per upload!
But, in order for the intelligent mapping to do its thing, you will need to prepare your .CSV file for import.
To prepare a downloaded .CSV file from a third-party CRM for Importing
For the Kajabi Contact Importer to organize your contacts' data best, it is critical to label the column headings in the first row of the spreadsheet.
For the best results, start with Email Address, followed by Name, and then the other fields you would like to retrieve.
Keep in mind the maximum number of Header Fields Kajabi can import is 20.
- Get started by opening an existing .CSV file or a blank worksheet in a spreadsheet application like Google Sheets or Excel.
- Create and label a column in the first row. We recommend naming the first column Email Address:
In the next column of the same row, create and name additional columns, such as; Name, Phone Number, and other information fields you would like to import to Kajabi:
For example, with a sreadsheets like Google Sheets, you can use the formula
=CONCATENATE(A2," ",B2)to combine the first and last name fields in Column A and Column B into a single name column.
Import Your Contacts to Kajabi
To import your contacts to Kajabi using the contact Importer:
- Open the People tab from the Dashboard.
- From the People Manager dashboard, click the + Import Contacts button or + Add Contact to begin adding people to your site.
- Then select how you would like to import your contacts:
- Import CSV to upload multiple contacts,
- Add Contact to import an individual contact quickly and easily to your list.
If you choose to import a CSV, select your preferred method:
- Click Upload File and select your prepared .CSV file into the file picker.
Copy/Paste from File
- Click Copy and Paste from file and then copy and paste the rows from a prepared CSV file into the text box.
The Kajabi Contact Importer uses intelligent column mapping. This means that Kajabi will recognize column headers and then organize the data accordingly.
Review and Edit the Recognized Columns.
Though the Kajabi Contact Importer is pretty awesome, it's not perfect. Make sure to review and edit the columns from the .CSV file. When clicking on the icon in the top right corner of the column, Kajabi will give you the options:
- Existing Field: Choose an existing field from your people tab.
- New Field: Create a new field that will be saved to your people tab.
- Skip Column: Skip the column and waive the accompanied data.
Create new custom fields during the import process
If the field is not recognized, Kajabi will then prompt you to create a new Custom Field.
For instance, if the header is something specific such as a company name, Kajabi will ask to create a new field.
This field will then be recognized when importing future contacts.
- Grant an offer: Grant your newly imported contacts an Offer upon import.
- Add Tags: Add an existing tag to your newly imported contacts or create a new tag on the fly.
Subscribe to email marketing: Click the checkbox to subscribe to your newly imported contacts to your email marketing list. Keep in mind, this could harm your deliverability if your contacts did not opt-in to your mailing list.
Click here to learn more about Email List best practices!
Kajabi will send a confirmation email to the email address associated with your account once the upload is complete.
This email will include:
- a count of new contacts created,
- the count of existing contacts that were updated,
- and a link to a file that explains which contacts weren't uploaded along with the error reason.
The file of rejected contacts includes a record of rejected contacts and rows, along with an explanation of the error.
What happens if there is a duplicate contact?
Kajabi prevents the creation of duplicate contacts to help you keep an organized list so long as the same email address is used when added to your site.
Automatic emails sent after import
When importing your users onto Kajabi they will be created as Contacts or as Members.
A user is imported as a Contact when they are added to your Kajabi list without being granted an Offer:
Contacts will not receive an automatic email of any kind when you import them to your Kajabi list.
A user is imported and created as a Member when they are granted an Offer during the import process:
Members will receive the:
- Member Welcome Email
- As well as the Offer Grant Confirmation email.