Learn to use Google Sheets to combine the first and last name into a single column in your .CSV file to successfully import multiple contacts onto your site with Kajabi.
In this article:
- Why do I need to combine the first and last names?
- How to combine the first and last name
- How to skip columns in the Kajabi Contact Importer
Why do I need to combine the first and last names?
To import multiple contacts onto your site you can upload a CSV file or copy/paste from a CSV file.
However, Kajabi requires a single name field to function properly with the import contacts tool.
If your CSV export contains two columns for the first and last name you can use functions to combine the separate columns into a single separate column with spreadsheets like Google Sheets.
Learn to import contacts onto your site.
How to combine the first and last name
With the concatenate function you can use a spreadsheet to combine the first and last names into a single column.
In this guide, we will walk you through the process of using the concatenate function with Google Sheets.
To use the concatenate function:
- In a separate column of your spreadsheet, enter
- Then, select an individual's first name (e.g., John).
This will enter the column and row cell reference for the first name into the formula.
- If the desired cell has been referenced in the formula, then enter
- Next, select the same individual's last name (e.g., Doe).
This will enter the column and row cell reference for the last name into the formula.
- Close the formula with the left-facing parenthesis,
- Then, click enter to apply:
If the cell containing the concatenate function displays the first and last name of your selected individual you have successfully combined the first and last name into a single column!
To autofill the remaining contacts you may be prompted to autofill the remaining rows or you can click and drag the bottom right corner of the cell to autofill:
How to skip columns in the Kajabi Contact Importer
After you have combined the first and last name columns in Google Sheets and once you have started the contact import process in Kajabi by uploading your CSV file, the Kajabi Contact Importer will still read the First and Last name columns as "unrecognized columns". These columns will need to be skipped upon import for a successful contact import.
To skip the First and Last name columns:
- Click the edit icon on the First box in the "unrecognizable columns" section.
- In the "Map your column" popup menu, select Skip Column.
- Select Confirm to confirm your selection.
- Repeat these steps for the Last column.
- Once both columns have been "skipped" select Continue to Import Actions.
- Select any Bulk Actions to perform during Contact Import, then press Continue to Summary.
- Press the Confirm Import button to finish the contact import process:
Please vote below and let us know if you found this article helpful. We value your feedback. Thanks for being the best part of Kajabi!