Domains can be confusing but we provide step-by-step instructions to make it as easy as possible to connect your domain to Kajabi with Cloudflare. Cloudflare helps with security and performance, giving your users a great experience all for free! Follow our guide to learn how to connect your custom domain with your Kajabi Website.
In this article:
First, you'll need a registered domain. If you don't have a registered name and need some help, click this link to learn more. The majority of our customers use GoDaddy to register their domains, but there are many registrars for you to choose from. You're also free to use an existing domain; a newly registered domain isn't required.
- To signup for a free account Click Here.
- Once you've created your account, you'll need to add your domain to Cloudflare.
- Enter your domain, click "Scan DNS Records" and wait for it to scan, then click "Continue Setup" once it completes its scan.
- Next, it will ask you to verify that all of your records are listed.
- If you're using a newly registered domain, you won't need to worry about what's on this screen.
- If you're using an existing domain, however, you'll want to double-check that anything you previously had set up with your domain is still present. If anything is missing you can add it now or get it set up later.
- After you have verified everything, click " Continue" at the bottom.
- You will again be asked for a plan.
- For the purposes of setting up a custom domain with Kajabi, all you'll need is the Free plan. Go ahead and select "Free Website" and click "Continue" at the bottom.
Now that your domain is set up with Cloudflare, you'll need to set up a CNAME record that will point your domain to Kajabi. This can be done with "www" or another subdomain (e.g. "courses", "members"). For this example, we'll be using the hostname "www".
- Click the " DNS" tab at the top and add your CNAME record as follows:
If your Domain already shows a WWW subdomain record an error will occur, stopping you from adding the new CNAME record. to fix this, delete the existing WWW record then click Save.
Notes for This Step:
- For "Domain name" be sure to enter "endpoint.mykajabi.com" exactly, and NOT your own "mykajabi.com" subdomain.
- If you have an existing record with the same hostname that you're trying to add ("www" in this case) you will receive an error stating "An A, AAAA or CNAME record already exists with that host. (Code: 81053)." You will need to locate the existing record and remove it by clicking on the X at the end of the record.
- Once you've added your record, you'll need to make sure it's enabled. Records can be enabled by clicking on the grey cloud icon on their right so that it turns orange:
The final step of the Cloudflare onboarding process is to change your nameservers over to the ones that CloudFlare provides you.
Cloudflare has many guides for changing nameservers with the most common domain registrars. Find your domain host on the list, then follow the instructions. Please contact your registrar if you have any questions. Click here for a Cloudflare guide on how to change your nameservers.
With your record all set up, the last thing you'll need to do is enable Full SSL for your domain.
- Click on the SSL/TLS settings from the top menu.
- In the first section labeled "SSL" you'll want to select "Full".
- Click Edge Certificate to see if your SSL certificate is Active. This may take up to 24 hours to activate but, in most cases takes somewhere between 5 to 20 minutes.
Add Page Rules
In order to be able to access your Kajabi site without "www" or "https", you'll have to add a few page rules to Cloudflare.
- Select the “Page Rules” tab at the top of the Cloudflare dashboard and click “Create page rule”.
- Copy and paste the created URLs and Destination URLs from inside the Cloudflare connection flow in your Kajabi Settings.
- Add these 3 Page Rules exactly as shown in the following order:
- First field: yourdomain.com/*
- Add a Setting: Forwarding URL
- Select Status Code: 301 - Permanent Redirect
- Enter destination URL: https://www.yourdomain.com/$1
- Click Save and Deploy.
- Next, click Create Page Rule again and enter all required fields as such:
- First field: http://www.yourdomain.com/*
- Add a Setting: Always Use HTTPS
- Click Save & Deploy
- Lastly, click Create Page Rule one last time and enter all required fields as such:
- With these 3 page rules set up and deployed, your site will be easily accessible to all users.
Add Custom Domain to Kajabi
When you've completed all of the steps above, head into your Site's Custom Domain settings.
- Turn the Toggle Off to use Cloudflare.
- Then add your custom domain to step 4.
- Click the Settings tab from your Admin Dashboard.
- Then, click Custom Domain.
- Skip to Step 4 and add your custom domain.
- Remember to click Save!
Troubleshooting Domain Connection
If you're having trouble with importing a custom domain into Kajabi, you may be experiencing one or more of these common issues.
1. CNAME record is not set to "endpoint"
It is common for people to replace "endpoint" with a different domain. However, this setting is incorrect.
Add your CNAME record as follows:
Name : www
Be sure to literally type "endpoint.mykajabi.com"
2. Nameservers are not pointing to Cloudflare
If your domain isn't showing as active in Cloudflare, it's most likely that your nameservers need to be changed over to the ones that CloudFlare provides you. To learn how to change nameservers click here.
3. SSL is not set to FULL
- Click on the SSL/TLS (previously, Crypto tab) settings from the top menu.
- In the first section labeled "SSL" you'll want to select "Full" from the drop-down menu.
This can cause your checkout page to break and not allow users to enter their credit card number. If your customers reach out and let you know they are experiencing this issue go ahead and check your SSL setting in Cloudflare.
If you are still receiving errors and are not sure what to do next, send us screenshots of your Overview Tab, SSL/TLS (previously, Crypto tab) Tab, DNS tab, and Page Rules tab to email@example.com. We are more than happy to help!